Our goal at the Lorena Gallo Foundation is to educate and mobilize the public about violence and sexual assault against women and to ensure that services are available to survivors and their families in Prince William County. Programs include:
Education and Awareness:
- Conduct healthy relationships workshop and awareness education activities for young people to help them recognize, monitor and better understand the types of abuse, the warning signs and what they look like in everyday life.
- Build awareness of available resources so survivors know where to turn for help, through media, social media, and engagement.
- Engage men and boys in campaigns that challenge victim blaming, change attitudes and behavior, and hold other men accountable for preventing domestic and dating violence.
- Create “empathy in action” safe spaces in the community for sharing stories without blame or judgement, so that victims know they are not alone and can come together to celebrate their strength while sharing stories of pain and resilience.
- Facilitate critical dialogues with leaders and providers about how to work together to create change, reduce abuse, and more effectively address the needs of survivors in our community.
Emergency Response and Supportive Services:
- Building a new emergency shelter facility in or near to Prince William County that will add more spaces and light-touch services so that families can escape their violent household quickly.
- Address gaps in access to emergency services and survivor assistance, including emergency rental and utility assistance, clothing, food and basic need items
- Provide supports that help families overcome the trauma of abuse and build a better future for their families.